Pages

Wednesday 7 September 2011

Review: Breaking Dawn (Twilight Saga)

While reading the books in my collection, I decided to read Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer again in preparation for part 1 of the movie coming out in November.

Out of all the Twilight books, I have to admit this is my favourite. Putting aside the extremely insane turn of events, this book gave me a sigh of relief when I realised Bella can be a normal person after all. I spent three books waiting for her to grow up, stop complaining and doing stupid things. While the other books exploded with team Jacob and team Edward drama, Breaking Dawn finally brought an end to the struggle.

Breaking Dawn is a great end to the saga as we see Bella finally settle down with Edward and begin to think of others for once. The book starts with an exciting event... the wedding! At the wedding, we meet all the people involved in Bella's life - past, present and future; humans, werewolves and vampires. Obviously with such a mixed group of people, you can tell this book will have its drama... and you will not be disappointed. It is a bit like Eclipse but more intense. The only thing that may disappoint is the lack of action scenes like in Eclipse... but then again teenage girls probably dont want to see their favourite characters killed.

Cover:
Like the entire saga, the covers are consistent with the colour and design. I love them for their simplicity and they definately stand out on my bookshelf. In regards to meaning, I simply assumed the white queen represented the new Bella... strong and unstopable... a vampire. That was my assumption before even opening the book.
There is also a clear explanation on Stephenie Meyers website:

"Breaking Dawn's cover is a metaphor for Bella's progression throughout the entire saga. She began as the weakest (at least physically, when compared to vampires and werewolves) player on the board: the pawn. She ended as the strongest: the queen. In the end, it's Bella that brings about the win for the Cullens".

Final Comments:
It is difficult to go further with insights on this book without ruining it for the odd few who havent read it yet, especially with the movie trailer having already spoiled it. This book has everything the twilight series is famous for - romance, drama, conflict, action and heartbreak. Definately the best in the saga in my opinion. I have enjoyed reading each book and will miss all my favourite characters, including Carslisle and Aro! Two of the strongest and honest characters in the book that made reading more enjoyable.

Rating: 5/5
Release Date: August 2008
Publisher: Atom (Little, Brown Book Group)
Author: Stephenie Meyer


What do you think of the book?
Do you think the saga has been represented well on film or do you prefer to stick to the books?

If you are a fan of the films, below is the teaser trailer for the movie

4 comments:

  1. I, um.. *cough* have not read Twilight..yet. I have all the books though. They're there on the TBR Pile. I'll get around to it. Soon enough :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you just not interested in the whole saga or is it a case of finding the time?

    I know a lot of people who have the books but just cant go past the first few pages.... after all its not for everyone :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the series. I was one of those who saw Twilight in the theater and was like what is all the hype about but my aunt convinced me to read the books. I do enjoy the movies (can't lie I have been to the midnight premieres), but the books are so much better. Looks like I need to go read Breaking Dawn again before the movie comes out in Nov.!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sound exactly like me :) My 13 year old cousin forced me to go to the movie with her, then she lent me the first book and thats how i got hooked.
    Do you find that once you get to the last chapter, you try to slow down so you dont finish it? hehe

    ReplyDelete